Friday, September 16, 2011

10 Day Challenge - Day 3

Day Eight: 8 Fears

From my first two days of blogging, you've probably already begun to gather that I like to pretend I'm not afraid of anything. It's part of my persona. The reality of the fact is, however, that I'm scared of my own shadow. Not necessarily things that are scary to normal people... But you put them up next to someone as neurotic as me and Lauren, and you've got yourself a problem.

1. Sickness. It's a highly publicized fact across the southeastern US that I am, in fact, a hypochondriac. While "hypochondria" seems like such a harsh word, it doesn't actually do justice to the amount of fear in my heart for aches and pains. Let me find a mosquito bite on my forearm on Thursday, and by Friday morning, I will have diagnosed myself with a rare skin condition, cancer, etc., and thereafter have scheduled the amputation so as to avoid the spread of the dreaded disease.

2. Being alone. Don't get me wrong... I'm not one of these that needs company every waking minute. However, if I find myself in a large crowd with no one to keep me sane, said sanity will go right out the window. I need someone slightly less dramatic than me to keep me grounded at all times.

3. The ice room at Bryant. If you've never had the pleasure of darkening the doors at Paul W. Bryant Residence Hall, you may skip to number 4. For those of you that have had that allustrious privilege, you know exactly what I mean. The ice room with the trick doors and shady lighting system will get you every time. It's basically a rape closet. Stay away.

4. The dark. This is also another tricky one, similar in fashion to #2. I love my bedroom to be dark as a crypt while I'm trying to sleep. With that being said, if I find myself in darkness at any other time, I become increasingly uncomfortable. Contrary to popular belief, I enjoy being able to see 5 feet in front of my face. Which is why I have never understood the propensity of Alabama Power to allow electricity to be off for days at a time, save the occurrence of natural disasters. If it's a bright, sunshiney day.... Keep that joker up and running please!

5. Snakes. While this may sounds like a bit of a cliche, so be it. Snakes absolutely terrify me. Once, when I was 5, I had a dream cobras invaded our house and my dad had to get up on the kitchen table and beat them off with a hoe. Enough said.

6. Not getting into Law School. Allow me to go poignant for a moment and expostulate on what is my greatest fear, to date. If I don't get into Law School, I have no Plan B. Law School IS Plan B, and Plan C, ... and Plan Z. This is why you can often find me studying some form of LSAT paraphernalia roughly 6 months in advance of my test date. Just keepin it real.

7. The Ferg. Another UA reference for all you Roll Tiders out there... The Ferguson Center is probably the scariest place I've ever been. Especially around lunch time, the hours I affectionately like to call "the suicide hours." On a campus of 30,000+ people, the student union should be roughly the size of the football stadium.

8. Bleach. While this may seem irrational to most, and it probably is, I am horrified with the concept of bleach. What in the world were people thinking when they started dipping their clothing in a substance strong enough to kill babies and small animals? Fundamental questions to which I have no answer. Smh.

No comments:

Post a Comment